THE FOOD INITIATIVE
The Navadarshanam brand of food items comprises value-added farm products that offer healthier food alternatives in the Bangalore market. Guided originally by the organic farming and healthy cooking principles practiced by the Navadarshanam community, the health foods activity is today wholly managed and operated by a group of villagers under the banner of Navadarshanam Trust Self Help Group. The operation provides a reasonable alternate income to more than 25 farming families from the local village community.
- Navadarshanam launches Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) initiative pilot – June 2016.
- New products – banana bread, peanut chikki
- Direct Sale – Changes in delivery locations and day-of-week
The range of products includes whole grains rice, wheat, millets, pulses, flours, powders, mixes, cold pressed oils, pickles and chunda, spices, tamarind, ready masalas, jaggery, ….
VISION AND VALUES
- Offer wholesome, healthy, traditional and ecologically sustainable food choices for urban consumers
- Ensure that ALL of the commercial benefits of the enterprise are passed on to the rural producers of food.
- Offer a fair price to farmers who grow the produce.
- Create a better, direct and more enduring connection between urban consumers and rural producers of food.
- Inspire urban consumers to embrace and extend their perspectives on health – from valuing personal health to valuing ecological health and taking a deeper responsibility towards societal health.
- Reduce wastage of food at every step of the process
Navadarshanam products are available through the following channels:
- Available at all Namdhari stores as well as most organic food stores in Bangalore
- Monthly direct sale via the SHG Market at specific locations in the city – please see below for more information
- Weekly delivery of organic vegetables, fruits and groceries to members who subscribe to the CSA Offering
The Navadarshanam CSA is a new offering under the SHG banner with the ultimate intent of facilitating a closer and direct partnership between the rural producers and urban consumers of food. For more information regarding how it works please click here: