The Navadarshanam Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) is a new offering under the SHG banner with the ultimate intent of facilitating a closer and direct partnership between the rural producers and urban consumers of food.
- Ensure weekly delivery of healthy and ecologically sustainable food to urban consumers
- Weekly supply of organic vegetables and fruits, groceries and value-added foods made from whole grains using traditional recipes
- Ensure that ALL the commercial benefits from the enterprise are passed on to the rural producers of the food
- ensure fair price for the produce from farmers
- ensure that the income from the value-added food products is shared among the rural community that is managing the production
- ensure that advance payments by members can support working capital needs of farmers
- Create a better, direct and more enduring connection between urban consumers and rural producers of food
- transparency by ensuring direct connections with farmers
- exposure to and voluntary participation by consumers in farming activities and eventually move to a more advanced member participatory model
- promote deeper understanding and appreciation of farming risks, rewards, issues and policies that influence farmers lives
- Reduce wastage and ecological footprint of food
- support sustainable farming practices
- avoid waste of products by delivering only based on orders
- reduce plastics and other throw away packing material and replace with reusable materials
How It Works
- Navadarshanam CSA will deliver a box of organic vegetables, fruits and groceries once every week to members
- Members can subscribe to one of the following box sizes: depending on the size and needs of their household.
- A variety of vegetables and some fruits will be provided in the box. The groceries (any of the current Navadarshanam products) to be included in the box can be ordered each week.
- New members need to make a subscription payment in advance that is equivalent to approximately 3-months supply.
- Membership may be renewed or cancelled at the start of each new season – lasting about 3 to 4 months.
- The total cost of the contents of each week’s box will be deducted against the advance payment and the credit balance adjusted accordingly. When the credit balance drops below a certain number, the member will be required to top up their balance to ensure continued supply
- Each week the boxes will be delivered for pickup every Sunday between 11am to 1pm from pre-designated locations in various parts of the city.
|Box size and contents||Weight of Vegetables(Approx)|
2 Bunches of greens and 8 staple vegetables plus up to 2 non-staple vegetables plus any pre-ordered fruits and groceries
2 Bunches of greens and 8 staple vegetables plus up to 3 non-staple vegetables plus any pre-ordered fruits and groceries
3 Bunches of greens and 8 staple vegetables plus up to 4 non-staple vegetables plus any pre-ordered fruits and groceries
|EXTRA LARGE |
5 Bunches of greens and 8 staple vegetables plus up to 5 non-staple vegetables plus any pre-ordered fruits and groceries
How to Subscribe
If you are interested in becoming a member of the CSA and wish to subscribe for weekly deliveries, please write to us at navadarshanamCSA.email@example.com
We typically enroll new members at the beginning of each growing cycle. Each growing cycle is approximately 3 to 4 months long.